[Rhodes22-list] Cowie: this just in:

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Sep 4 23:25:48 EDT 2008

Cowie,
As part of your decision making process ask around about how far the
surge came up in Isabel. I know a lot of boats at HHN were damaged
but I think most of that was from wave action once the breakwater was
overtopped by the surge. I think they may have added to the
breakwater down there. Certainly for a major storm event the safest
thing is probably to put the boat on a trailer and tow it to higher
ground than the shores of the bay. That also implies having a tow
vehicle. I'm not quite sure where we would put the boat if an Isabel
like surge seemed possible. In our marina no boats were damaged.
Marina staff and slipholders went around in dinghies retying lines as
the waters came up and went down. No boats ended up on the docks.
That would not have been possible in wind - we had very little wind
up this way.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD