[Rhodes22-list] Storm Preps

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Sep 5 22:11:10 EDT 2008

Depends on the furling system. The old GB system was easy to use but
to remove the sail required lowering the mast. The CDI system used on
many newer R22s requires the use of a messenger line as the halyard
is internal to the furler (I think - someone who has one can clarigy
if I've got it wrong). We did remove the sail today. We have a
Schaeffer Snap-Furl unit and it was really easy. Took us about 10
minutes. It will probably take about 15 to put it back up depending
on how well we flaked the sail when we put it away. We also removed
the bimini, wrapped the exposed edge of the main around the mast and
secured all lines. It's most likely overkill on a grand scale but we
felt we could use the practice. It also took only about an hour to an
hour and a half and included a lot of discussion about the options.
If this storm wimps out or goes out to sea you can thank us.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD