[Rhodes22-list] Storm Preps

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Sep 6 09:34:52 EDT 2008

Bill,

I just checked the boat and she's looking pretty so far.  Fortunately my dock is filled with liveaboard motorboaters who are keeping an eye on her.  Most of the weekenders are spending the night on their yachts tonight.  High tide is around 11:00 p.m.--I'll definitely be there then.  The western shore of the Chesapeake will have the most tidal surge.  I'm on the western shore of Kent Island so I'm not sure if we'll have any of the same effect.

When I first had my boat I would shorten the hiking stick and lock it into the broom handle holder on the port stern rail.  After one violent storm it came loose.  No real damage but the rubber ball on the end of the stick made black marks all over my cockpit.  The rudder also fell.  Now I wrap the rudder line around the tiller linkage a couple of times and hook the loop over the pin (didn't mention that storm prep before).

As for the tiller, I still lock it to the port stern rail, and then tie a loop around the stern rail below the holder and around the rear of the hiking stick and under the tiller.  It looks like it could slip off but the line is tight enough to make it impossible.

As for the headsail, I tie a loop through the clew around the furled sail.  For the sail to come unfurled, the furling line or the cockpit horned grab rail would need to break, but it's a quick and easy safety precaution.

Lee