[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

MichaelT mticse at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:29:46 EDT 2008

We experienced approx 4-5 gusts of wind in our 3 hour sail yesterday. I was
just imagining if our wives we're onboard how frantic they would have been.

In those instances, the weather helm gave way to a heavy tiller with the
tiller positioned at 45 degree to windward to remain on-course. I was
considering letting the main sheet out but the gusts all happen in about
10-20 seconds and then disappears.

How do you guys handle gusts of wind?

Especially when the gusts causes heavy heeling (gunnel 6" from water)

Michael