[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Sep 8 10:57:50 EDT 2008

Michael,

How long have you been sailing? Those types of gusts are just part of
the "experience" of sailing. My boat's a different design than the
Rhodes (the Rhodes is "flatter" than most other sailboats), so the
heeling sensation feels more intense no a Rhodes, but a temporary heel
due to gusts is nothing to worry about. You did the right thing, in my
opinion, by just riding it out. If it lasted much longer, you'd probably
want to let out the main. If the gusts were very frequent, you'd
probably want to reduce sail.

As for frantic guests/crew, I always make it a point to tell folks that
are new to sailing, before I head out, that heeling is part of sailing,
and that the boat is designed to handle that, that it's nothing they
should worry about, and if they sail long enough, they'll eventually not
even pay much notice to it. It helps if other boats are on the water,
and you can point out how they too are heeled. Also, during "let's talk
about SOMETHING" times on the water, I explain some of the physics
involved, and why it's difficult to swamp a sailboat from wind alone.