[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 11:17:16 EDT 2008

Michael,
I always sail with the tiller in one hand and the main sheet in the other.
If I want to keep the boat fairly level I simply let some of the main sheet out
 and then recover after the gust has passed. Water 6 inches from the gunnel
is  nothing to sweat about. Water coming over the gunnel simply means you are
having  a great deal of fun. Having your crew on the high side also help-s to
balance  the boat under those conditions.
One other idea, make sure that the rudder is in the fully down
position......meaning it is tucked up and under the hull. Unless it is in the  forward
position, you will be fighting heavy helm.

Rummy

In a message dated 9/8/2008 10:30:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,