[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

R Orkin roryorkin at verizon.net
Mon Sep 8 11:48:49 EDT 2008

Check the rudder lines carefully as well as any stainless steel guides
located inside the rudder assembly.
If the guide is placed a little rearward it acts as a stop and the rudder
can not come all of the way forward when fully deployed. It is important
that the bottom of the rudder actually be canted a little forward rather
than vertical to get the very Light rudder control that this boat should
have. I had to move the guide  a little on mine.. If you do not have that
guide do not worry. Not all boats were so equipped.

MichaelT wrote:

> We experienced approx 4-5 gusts of wind in our 3 hour sail yesterday. I
> was just imagining if our wives we're onboard how frantic they would have
> been.
>
> In those instances, the weather helm gave way to a heavy tiller with the
> tiller positioned at 45 degree to windward to remain on-course. I was
> considering letting the main sheet out but the gusts all happen in about
> 10-20 seconds and then disappears.
>
> How do you guys handle gusts of wind?
>
> Especially when the gusts causes heavy heeling (gunnel 6" from water)
>
> Michael

-----
Rory Orkin
Tilghman, Md