[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

Paul Krawitz krawitzmail-rhodes22 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 14:41:45 EDT 2008

Michael,
The usual methods to de-power sails in heavy winds or gusts are:

   1. Ease mainsheet and jib. This causes twisting of the head of the sail
   away from the wind
   2. Partially furl mainsheet and (on Rhodes) mainsail
   3. Completely furl jib. This alters the boat balance, resulting in
   needing to move the tiller away from the mainsail.
   4. Completely furl main. This alters boat balance, resulting in needing
   to move the tiller toward the jib.
   5. Tighten Cunningham to tighten luff (not an option on Rhodes)
   6. Tighten outhaul to tighten foot (usually this is set tight initially
   on Rhodes)
   7. Ease traveller to allow mainsail to ease without changing sail shape
   8. Turn upwind and ride on the edge between the "no go" zone and a close
   reach. This is called "sailing in the groove."

Pulling the centerboard up with allow less healing, but will also result in
moving downwind due to unopposed vector forces on the two sails.

The Rhodes offers one other ingenious adjustment, which is lowering the boom
to the next hole on the mast, thus decreasing healing leverage. But keep
your heads low...Rhodies frequently forget about the new boom position and
are prone to getting whacked while standing in the cockpit.

What to do depends upon what kind of a sail you are looking for. Fast?
Exciting? Calm for squeamish crew?

Your best defense is to be aware of the oncoming "blow" by watching the
windward water surface. Gusts of wind can be recognized by a dark, rippled
appearance.

When we have a willing crew, I'll announce the blow by estimated seconds,
while we're all sitting on the high side, and the moment I feel it, I'll use
the wind "lift" to point further into the wind. Of course, doing this
without completely losing speed takes some feel. I used to stink at it and
point too high.

If the gusts are too rough for that maneuver, then we'll adjust by one or
more of the methods listed above.

For my wife on such days, I put out a vestigial jib and mainsail, and she
comments how "calm" the sailing is. Which for her, is mission accomplished.

Paul K.
"Clarity"