[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Sep 9 07:55:23 EDT 2008

I went out the other day in 10-15kts (gusts to 20) with my nephew (7yrs) who
was white knuckled as he said "Can we go faster?"  He was holding on to the
winch for dear life thinking that he had found a secure handhold.  Imagine
his horror when I needed THAT winch as we changed tack!  I was finally able
to transfer his grip to the hand rail at the front of the cockpit so that I
could secure the genny to the winch.  I had never realized how dangerous it
can be to have small hands firmly attached to a winch during a tack.

My advice: Caution all "non-sailing crew" that the winch is strictly
off-limits as a hand hold since it might be needed in a hurry and show them
the forward hand grips.

Of course, I neglected to inform my nephew that he would now be firmly
affixed to the "low" side after I sheeted in and resumed hull speed.  At his
size, I did not think to reposition him as his contribution to the boat's
ballast quotient was nil.  I had to retrieve him personally (his safety line
was always tied to me) and he now won't sit anywhere except fully hiked out
in the stern with me holding on to the backstay getting wet from the spray.
He loves to sail fast.  I'm training him so that in my later years he can
sail and I can sit back and watch.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY