[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Sep 9 14:57:07 EDT 2008

Paul,

I jack up the boat over the trailer when I paint the bottom and remove the
centerboard roller to permit the board to drop down a bit further, not quite
vertical, but enough to paint the board and the trunk.  This year will be a
major overhaul in which I will break the CB trunk seals and actually remove
the centerboard, blocks, line and pivot hardware for inspection and
replacement as necessary, before painting and reassembling for the '09
season.  I do this every 5-7 years and usually have not had problems with
the board for years.  I suspect that this past season the mussel growths
were exceptional (even with anti-fouling paint) or a block failed and jammed
the board.  While the water is still very warm (72-75F) I will snorkel
underneath and inspect the board, possibly being able to free it for the
remainder of the season.  The other alternative is to put her on the trailer
and take a look underneath.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY