[Rhodes22-list] Hanna leaves us; Not political, so take a break ; ^)

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 08:46:40 EDT 2008

Mary Lou,

Ian and the other instructor, Joseph Rossbach,  were excellent instructors. Very patient, (!) and generous with information on composition. lighting and 'seeing.' It was a lucky 'two-fer' that both men happened to be at the same workshop; usually only one  instructor will be at a workshop.

We spent LOTS of time outside...other than Saturday 'day' when it was blowing & pouring, we were out before dawn & in 'way late. Dark & Rain are what get everyone salivating for beautiful images. Cameras got wet & it was no big deal...Ian & Joe had cameras & lenses worth thousands & they were out in the worst of the spray at the bulkhead on Tilghman.

There are really no 'cheap tricks;' what they espouse is really seeing what is in front of you, and using the camera to record & enhance. The photo I've attached is an example. Long exposure and planned camera movement make an ordinary pine into an abstract. I had this picture in my head but did not know how to make it. Joe came over & listened to what I wanted to record & explained how to do it.

What this weekend gave me is more control over the camera and a better understanding of the interaction of ISO, aperature, and exposure, along with the  judicious use of camera movement. Get out that tripod!

Not that I'm shilling for them, but if you'd like to see more of their work, Mountaintrailphotography.com is their publishing business & has more of their work.

I will most definitely do more of their workshops in the future. I especially would like to do the one in which Ian takes 6 participants to Smith Is for almost a week; they stay at author Tom Horton's place and and reap the benefit of Horton's research on the Bay...

I'll send a few more...out of maybe 400 photos, there are probably 5 I'm pleased with. Don'tcha LOVE that digital!

Definitely a 'high'...on par with the first time I got the boat back in the slip alone..;^)

elle