[Rhodes22-list] Lou, on the thinning of herds...

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:26:18 EDT 2008

Lou,

As a life-long hunter and fisherman (though not in recent years) I've seen
no evidence that the DNR's decisions of heard-culling is ever based on
partisan politics.  And certainly Palin has little or no voice in those
decisions.  And I highly doubt she herself has done any aerial hunting.  The
guys that do that are skilled, dead-eye marksmen and do their very best and
mostly succeed in getting "good kills" so the poor beast doesn't suffer.

The over population of anything is usually trouble.  Especially wolves.
Duh.  I don't know about moose.  But the DNR guys are out there all the time
counting herds and making decisions about bag limits and if they say the
herd's getting too big, I believe them.  Their work in conservation is
tireless.  That said, there's still a significant amount of poaching from
the air or snowmobiles or ATVs and the rangers and game wardens have to try
to stop that too.  It's a big job.

My own cousin, Richard Knapp of Jamestown. ND is the head game warden for
the state of ND.  Funny though, as a kid he broke every hunting and fishing
law there is.  At least he knows all the tricks.

As for myself hiking into the woods and dragging a moose out--no thanks.

Slim