[Rhodes22-list] UPS Re: Boom Vang, UPS, Whisker Pole

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Sep 13 10:25:50 EDT 2008

Hi Lee.
Answers below:

>can you leave the UPS permanently
>rigged and ready to use?

No. It doesn't furl tightly like the genoa. It is tighter to about
midway up and then has a looser furl that the wind could easily
catch. It needs to come down before you leave the boat.

>Does it have a UV strip sewn onto it or would you
>need a cover?

UV strip would defeat the purpose of a sail that fills easily in
light air. The UPA is spinnaker cloth. One of the joys of using it is
that it is so light.

>  If you're sailing your Genoa, I assume you would need to furl
>it in before tacking.  Come to think of it, how does a cutter-rigged
>sailboat tack with two headsails?

Again we don't leave it up. Dunno about cutters.

ML