[Rhodes22-list] Tom Horgarty about the 'dragon'

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 22:05:21 EDT 2008

Ed,

Well, well, well, turns out "Ole Man McCain" was a pioneer in
combining the internet with politics.  Here's an article from Slate
during the 2000 campaign -

http://www.slate.com/id/74812/

This is the money quote: "Six months ago, no one would have pegged
McCain as the most cybersavvy of this year's crop of candidates. At
63, he is the oldest of the bunch and because of his war injuries, he
is limited in his ability to wield a keyboard. But McCain's job as
chairman of the Senate commerce committee forced him to learn about
the Internet early on, and young Web entrepreneurs such as Jerry Yang
and Jeff Bezos fascinate him. Well before he announced his exploratory
committee, McCain had assimilated the notion that the Web could be
vital to the kind of insurgent, anti-establishment campaign he wanted
to run. In December 1998, he sent his longtime political aide Wes
Gullett to Minnesota to study Jesse Ventura's successful gubernatorial
campaign, which was the first to use the Web in an effective and
innovative way. "Wes went up to Minnesota and talked to Ventura's
people," McCain told reporters on the Straight Talk Express yesterday.
"That's really where we got the idea."

Of course "The One" is surrounded by all these smartass nutroots types
who apparently can't even Google.  A new laugh every day, what an
election!

Brad