[Rhodes22-list] Pointing Problem

Paul Krawitz krawitzmail-rhodes22 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 08:13:42 EDT 2008

I love the way my Rhodes 22 handles in all points of sail except when it is
close hauled.
In my narrow harbor, being able to point close to the wind is the difference
between returning home in 30 minutes versus 3 hours.

Now I'm not asking to be able to be 30 degrees off the wind like those two
guys racing around in a catamaran with no seating and two angled standing
platforms, and like members of the Joffrey Ballet, gracefully leaping from
one side to the other, making smooth and instantaneous tacks and traveling
at 15 knots (no exaggeration).
(P.S. What is that thing?)

But it would be nice to make 90 degree rather than 110 or 120 degree tacks.

Stan put in two internal lead systems on the new Rhodes, in which the jib
sheets travel either inside one or two of the shrouds. But the sail area is
so much smaller with the new system that making headway is difficult.

Furling the genoa jib 50% with the sheets on their normal path outside the
shrouds seems to be the best compromise, but I'm still 50-60 degrees off the
wind.

I tried tightening the backstays to stiffen up the jib luff. The jib looks
cleaner, but I'm still too far off the wind.

And yes, the centerboard is down.

What works for you?

Paul K
"Clarity"