[Rhodes22-list] Houston and environs

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Sep 16 09:44:42 EDT 2008

I received this email from a friend in the Houston area.

Rummy

Friends,
Pictures can not describe the devastation in Galveston,  Houston, and the
surrounding area.
As I returned to home on Sunday, starting thirty miles to  the west of here
(i.e. over sixty miles from downtown Houston), we began to  see branches down,
signs bent and broken, trees uprooted, and roofs and trim  on offices and
homes damaged.
As of this afternoon, and we are thirty miles from  downtown, there are
neighbors still without power.  My book keeper, who  I have been calling for days,
told me, when she answered her door, she is  still without power - I should
have had a clue: she did not answer her land  line or cell phone, and, her
answering machine did not pick up.  Fortunately, her neighbors across the street
have juice.  She  told me she would not have answered the door had she not had
the chance this  morning, through a friend, to shower and clean up. (She and
her husband have  had no water and no electricity, in other words, no bath or
shower, since  Friday)
Parts of Richmond and Rosenberg will remain without power  for an unknown
period of time into the future.
Then there was a guy across from me who decided he did  not want to grill
outside (the electric stove was out) so he brought the  grill in …..  the fire
department issued him a citation … I can’t  improve on that.
Living without water and electricity can be interesting:  no lamps, no
overheads, no TV, no  phone (cell or landline), no work,  no internet, no means to
cook, no means to wash, no cooking or drinking  water, no groceries (without
electricity stores can’t sell – the registers  don’t work, the frozen and
refrigerated stuff is dumped – legally they have  to take it out of the freezers
and to the dumpsters - and, once opened, the  stores do not get replenished for
days so the shelves get emptied).   Light is interesting because there is no
light after dusk, 7:30 pm, unless  you have a lot of candles, which you can’t
get; they fly off the shelves in  the days before the storm, and the stores are
closed afterward.  That  is just the start of the list.  I don’t want to
forget because I just  drove eight miles west of here for a fill up, transporta
tion is a problem –  there are long, stacked up, lines for gasoline.  If a
station has  electricity, and has the stuff, it has a line, if it does not, it is a
graveyard.  The gas, as I said, is disappearing – people are filling  ten and
twenty gallon cans with it, hoarding, because it takes time for  trucks to
bring in fuel, assuming they can get in at all, and, once the  station is out,
that is it.  You can not move if you are out of  gas.
Of course, the problem with no electricity is true only  if you still have a
home – thousands have no homes – the storm turned their  houses, couches,
beds, dining rooms, closets and vanities, into rubble –  broken and strewn for
miles – I found someone’s garage door remote on my  sidewalk.  We met people in
Austin, in the hotels, who evacuated, who  left the West end of Galveston,
their dream homes, their retirement havens,  and now own sand and a cement
foundation.  All we could do was cry with  them …
We have electricity – wow.  Friends in the  neighborhood do not …  And, like
some in Baton Rouge (left without  electricity from the storm weeks ago), it
may not get here for  weeks.
That is it from Richmond TX.

__________ Information  from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
database 3443  (20080915) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32  Antivirus.

_http://www.eset.com_ (http://www.eset.com/)

 Psssst...Have you heard the news? _There's a new fashion blog, plus the
latest fall trends and hair  styles at  StyleList.com_
(http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014) .