[Rhodes22-list] anchoring

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Sep 16 11:36:09 EDT 2008

Peter,

You are correct when you assert that tropical storm anchoring is different
than standard anchoring.  For one thing, most tropical circulations, even if
they are no longer hurricanes, have a significant change in wind direction
as the center passes over the area.  This easily dislodges anchors that are
set to expect wind from a single direction.  Dual anchors (bow and stern)
are great to hold against a current or a prevailing wind but not necessarily
against winds that completely change direction.  That is why most storm
preparations use two bow anchors set at a narrow angle to permit the craft
to rotate about the anchor point maintaining rules of scope.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY