[Rhodes22-list] Pointing Problem

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Sep 16 13:45:33 EDT 2008

Paul,

I posted this back in September 2007:

____

Jack,

I stand corrected.  I actually can point that high.  And I'm not that
good
of a sailor.

Went sailing this afternoon.  True wind was exactly 12 knots from the
south
just before I put the sails up and exactly 12 knots from the south just
after I furled them in.  Apparent wind fluctuated between 10 and 15
knots.
Small craft advisory due to the chop, which was about 3 feet in most
areas.

Boom down.  Full main.  Genoa sheets ran across the cabin top which
brought
the tip of the clew to the forward shrouds (about 85% reefed).  Board
down.
Traveler centered but pulled so tight the end of the boom was less than
12"
from the traveler.

Port tack on a close reach at 240 degrees with a 10 to 15 degree heel
going
about 3.5 to 4 knots with the tiller locked at about 3 degrees to the
leeward side.  Starboard tack at on a close reach at 150 degrees with a
15
to 20 degree heel (stupid 130 lb. outboard) going about 3.5 to 4 knots
with
the tiller locked at about 3 degrees to the leeward side.  240 minus 150
equals 90 divided by 2 would be 45 degrees into the wind, but that was
on a
close reach, not on a beat, close-hauled.  I easily got another 5
degrees
without luffing the sails on a beat.

Considering the amount of wind and chop, I think the Rhodes22 will point
better than 40 degrees with a little less wind and a lot less chop.

One other minor factor.  I was single-handling so I only had 180 lbs. of
human ballast.  Okay, maybe 190 lbs., but I was standing most of the
time as
opposed to sitting or hiking-out.

We really do have a well-designed sailboat.

Lee
____

"Stan put in two internal lead systems on the new Rhodes, in which the
jib
> sheets travel either inside one or two of the shrouds. But the sail
area is
> so much smaller with the new system that making headway is difficult."

I'm still relatively inexperienced so I would appreciate input from more
experienced sailors.  You have your centerboard down which is important,
however I believe it is even more important to run your sheets as close
to the mast as possible.  If you run your sheets between the shrouds,
you can pull the Genoa quite a way back behind the outer shroud for a
lot of sail area.  If you run your sheets between the mast and inner
shroud, you can still make your Genoa slightly larger than 100%.

I've never measured it, but I don't think I can get 45 degrees if the
wind is less than 5 knots.  In light wind I start out on a beam reach
and inch my way into the wind until my speed starts to slow.  At that
point I'd rather go fast than make headway.  If you really need to make
headway, there's no shame in taking Bill's advice and firing up the iron
genny.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease