[Rhodes22-list] anchoring - snubbers

Robert Skinner Robert at SquirrelHaven.com
Tue Sep 16 13:59:06 EDT 2008

The chain does act to some extent as a shock
absorber, as it is being lifted off the bottom.
A properly sized nylon line also provides some
cushioning effect as it stretches.  For a storm,
however, I would use rubber snubbers on a bridle
as the final piece.

In a hurricane hole, anchoring stern to the
shore is an old practice, as the bow handles big
waves better.  Double anchors forward, of course,
with slack for the tide/surge.

Of course, Maine sees a daily tide of 8 to 20
feet depending on location, so surge does not
seem so pronounced.

/Robert

Bill Effros wrote:
> Ben,
>
> In order to set the anchor you must put tension on it.  This pulls the
> rode taut.  When there is no wind or current, the rode will lie flat on
> the bottom, or float to the surface if it is a floating rode.  But it is
> not holding the boat in place.
>
> What most people call "dragging the anchor" is usually "dragging the
> chain".  If you fail to set your anchor -- which you will fail to set
> properly if you never draw the rode taut -- you can drag the chain all
> over the place, without ever properly setting the anchor.  If you draw
> the rode taut and properly set the anchor it just won't drag.
>
> A very small anchor can be used to hold a very large boat in place if
> the anchor is properly set.  It is much easier to set an anchor with an
> all rope rode.  The chain portion of the rode does not change the angle
> of pull.
>
> Bill Effros
>

> ben wrote:
>> << The chain portion of the rode does not change the angle of pull.>>
>>
>> Of course it does.  Unless your boat is being pushed by a very strong wind
>> or current, and assuming you've let out enough rode, the chain is lying very
>> close to the bottom.  The entire rode arcs up to the boat in a parabola --
>> not in a taut straight line.
>>
>> If you charter in the Caribbean, it's easy to see first hand in the clear
>> water.  \\
>>
>> Ben S
>> Velvet Elvis

>>> Joe