[Rhodes22-list] anchoring

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Sep 17 21:21:52 EDT 2008

Just for clarification's sake, I was not advocating anchoring from
the stern. An anchor deployed from the stern can still be cleated to
the bow. It's just a matter of when you go forward - to deploy the
anchor or to move the rode from a stern cleat to a bow cleat after
the boat is stopped.

That's all theoretical. Because we sail double handed we've always
been able to have one of us walk the anchor forward to deploy - even
in our one near emergency - when our motor quit as we were motoring
away from a drawbridge with a strong current taking us back toward
the bridge. We have never had to anchor in rough weather but have
considered the possibility and decided that if it was too rough to
walk the anchor forward, we would deploy it from the stern and then
change where the rode was cleated.

We made our original decision to keep the anchor in the lazarette
because anchor rodes used frequently in the Chesapeake get muddy and
smelly and we really didn't want additional dampness in the cabin.
After years of anchoring, I've never regretted it. That being said, I
would much rather have the anchor on the bow with a true anchor locker.

With your arrangement do you have to attach the rode to anchor each
time you use it? I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that -
especially in rough weather or when you needed to deploy an anchor quickly.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD