[Rhodes22-list] anchoring

michael meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Thu Sep 18 22:50:12 EDT 2008

This reminds me of the debate from a few years ago. I love his technique for
setting an anchor but do have a few issues:

1)he likes floating line, I hate it, I consider it a fouling hazard for any
one marverering around him
2)he hates chain, I think is needed, you do not know what on that bottom or
in the mud, the near anchor end rubbing on a rock or on some "crap" in the
mud, the anchor will be underground in any heavy conditions.
3)the chain servers some other purposes, assuming 22 feet of 1/4 inch
	a) It get the anchor on the bottom
	b) it get the anchor on the bottom fast and gives a a few second
rest if you are moving so it ready to dig in
	c) you know that your "helper" has put out about 50 feet of rode
without looking
	d) it does keep the shaft angles down while setting, better change
to set and life saving if moving
	e) anchor do not hold at 35 to 45 degrees(7:1 is a 12 degree angle),
that sound like the setting of the mud flaps on the fortress.
4)Bill likes undersized anchors, His use is more testament to his skill than
ANY BOATING RECOMANTIONS.
5)Bill love a very lite fortress, I do not.
	a)it so lite without chain that most people beside bill will not be
able to set it while moving, it will sail like a kite
	b)in any thing beside loose mud they have a habbit on setting on
only one point. Breaks out easy on wind change
	c)it so lite and hard to set that it will not reset on it own, bad
habit of "scribing" a line on the bottom after a wind change
6)most people get the fortress because it brakes down, my view is your
should always have an  an anchor ready to run.
7)I like anchors that reset on their own and fast, I use a spades and a
bruce clone.
8)the is a very good resion stan used a 12 pound danfouth anchor on the
rhodes22, it a good match for the boat.
My recommendation:
Basic:
100-150 feet of 3/8 NewEland 3 strand, it stores well, the boat rides on it
well(1/2 inch is to thick)
22 feet of 1/4 chain(old salts of one foot per length of boat, but at least
6 feet if you feel you need less)
The 12 pound steel danfouth on the bow on the rode, ready to run.
Better:
Leave the basic setup on the bow. And in a (anchor bag, bucket in the
laserert, Rubbermaid under the seat)
100-150 feet of 3/8 NewEland 3 strand, it stores well, the boat rides on it
well(1/2 inch is to thick)
22 feet of 1/4 chain(old salts of one foot per length of boat, but at least
6 feet if you feel you need less)
A bruce/spade/delta/etc.., a quick set/reseting anchor that fit the storage
space you are using. Use this setup most of the time.

-mjm
PS. Sorry bill I know you are passionate about this, and I am not trying to
get on your case, my concern is people without your skill set might find
themselves in trouble.