[Rhodes22-list] Bill's rant on compasses

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Sep 22 11:22:04 EDT 2008

Bill,

On Saturday I took out an old lensatic compass from Boy Scouts.  I don't
know what "lensatic" means, but that's what we called it back in the day.
It's in its original box and in excellent condition.  I hate to think that
something I once owned new may now have antique value.

Anyway, I measured it against my boat compass and sure enough on the port
tack it was about 3 degrees off and on the starboard tack it was about 10
degrees off.  I don't know if it was due to the metal in the motor or other
things or if one or both of my compasses were strangely inaccurate, but I
thought it was interesting.

Lee