[Rhodes22-list] Gas in TN-Brad

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Sep 25 09:40:01 EDT 2008

Brad,

40 years ago, before there were computer games, my college had a
contract with the air force to test simulated instrument flying
devices.  We had a joystick and a monitor in a dark room.  The object
was to keep the dot in the center of the screen using the joystick as
they changed what happened when you moved the joystick.  There were no
other cues as to what was happening around you.

They wanted to see how long we could stay focused on the problem.  They
paid $5 an hour to play the game, which was very good money at the
time.  The longer you could keep the dot in the circle, the more they
paid.  After a couple of hours your mind was fried -- but $10
represented a week's food, so it was worth it.

I played the game as often as I could.

BE