[Rhodes22-list] winter

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Sep 26 08:31:01 EDT 2008

Hi Paul,
We leave the mainsail on the mast.

We lower the mast and put a frame and tarp over the whole shebang. We do
know people who leave the mast up and just cover the cockpit. If you use the
mast to support a tarp make sure that nothing rubs on the main or the jib.
We had a tarp do a bit of small damage to the sunbrella on the jib once.

I've attached a couple of photos of the frame for our winter cover (ignore
the loose jib furler, normally we would leave that bundled with the mast but
we were having work done on the sail). The idea for the frame came from
Robert Skinner, Here's a link to the very helpful pdf he posted to the list
last year.
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200703/12/BoatCoverFra
me.pdf
Links to our pics below.

This year, because we can do it easily with the new furler, we'll remove the
jib, bag it up and take it home.

If your boat is painted, I believe shrinkwarp should not be used as it can
blister a paint job.

Otherwise, it gets very damp here in the winter so we take everything that
would be damaged by damp (or animals) - cushions, books, the UPS, etc - off
the boat. I also bring all of the galleyware home for a thorough cleaning.
We bring loose electronics home for the winter as well. We then leave the
boat open under the tarp so air can circulate.

We drain our water tank and pump the lines dry. We make sure there is no
water to freeze in the porta potty.

I think that's about it. Fred may have a few more things to add to the list
when he sees this.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD