[Rhodes22-list] storm prep thoughts Re: Gas in TN-Brad

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Sep 26 09:16:16 EDT 2008

We generally leave the boat with a line tied around the jib. We run the line
through the eye in the clew and knot it around the furled sail. We do this
anytime we don't expect to be back to the boat for a day or two.

For Hanna (which was a bust but which we used as a storm drill) we removed
the jib. We also undid the main outhaul so we could wrap the exposed part of
the IMF main around the mast. We secured it with rigging tape. Our thinking
was that this would not only protect the main, it would reduce windage.  I
don't think we'll actually use this idea too much as we'll probably pull the
boat for most hurricanes forecasted to track near us. It seemed to be secure
enough that I might leave the mast up with the boat on the trailer. The
rigging tape left a slightly sticky residue on the mast but nothing on the
sunbrella on the main. I'd be happy to hear others thoughts on this.

Links to the pics attached of the storm prep for Hanna below.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD