[Rhodes22-list] winter

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Fri Sep 26 12:29:24 EDT 2008

Paul, We have our boat in Torch Lake in upper, lower Michigan. We remove the
sails every fall and do not worry about a rodent finding a new winter home in
our sails. Removing the sails allows inspection of the sails, IMF foil, upper
and lower foil bearings or bushings. We take our sails to a loft every other
year for professional inspection. If you are in a freeze climate, water
in your
boat can do extensive damage. Holding tanks are obvious but don't forget
lazarette, voids under floor over CB trunk, head area and "V" berth. Any area
that might fill with water should be able to drain or put in a filler  object
(coated foam fender) that will absorb any ice expansion. A total clean out of
all galley supplies, PFD's, cushions, extra clothing, tools, etc. will help
prevent mold, mildew & rust. The shrink wrap controversy, air tight vs
ventilation, is your call. The cost and inability to get into my boat keeps me
from shrink wrap. A custom cover is nice but not any better than carefully
secured tarp(s). Be sure any loose stays, fittings, chains, etc. can not blow
in the wind and chip away at your boat's finish. The metal eyes on tarps must
not be able to rattle or rub on the boat. We remove the spreaders and provide
extra support for the mast stored on the bow and stern rails. Remove all
batteries and any electronics that are easy to remove. Consider anchor roads
and dock lines as possible source of mildew.  Remove any gas, oil, lubricants,
sun tan lotions, insect sprays etc. A bare boat is best. If you leave anything
on board make it a coat of wax Jim

                          Quoting Paul Krawitz