[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Pat Buchanan

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 10:06:31 EDT 2008

Bill,

Buchanan is an emotional demagogue but that doesn't mean he doesn't he
isn't right on some salient points on occasion.  I agree with him that
the financial elite and political elite of both parties are at fault.
Wall Street did what Wall Street does, which is find a way to make
money off us rubes in the unwashed masses, and we play along as long
the game benefits us.  When it doesn't, they are suddenly a bunch of
greedy jackals, when in fact, they were what they were all along. Only
our perception has changed.

This is at its core a credit crisis.  While the market price of the
stocks in our 401K's may have dropped in price, the underlying value
and potential of the companies we own haven't changed with the
exception of financial institutions. Five years ago I was predicting
this situation for China because the Chinese government was hiding the
billions of bad debt owed by state owned enterprises.  They quietly
got the "bad paper" off the books (sometimes there's something to be
said for benevolent dictatorships).  We, on the other hand, might have
muddled through this until FASB 157 hit the books in November 07' and
forced a national "Come To Jesus" meeting in the credit market.

Buchanan makes a powerful argument against the Fed's loose money
supply and no doubt that was a factor, especially for individuals
getting overextended in credit cards and car debts. But again, the
primary factor that got us to this point was the encouragement of
people who didn't have the resources or discipline to own homes to
enter the market.  Many otherwise sane and rational people watched
their own homes shoot-up in value and got caught-up in the euphoria.
To borrow the phrase from Greenspan describing the DotCom bubble, it
was "irrational exuberance".

So now here we are, all of us suffering a national financial hangover.
 I understand the Republicans reluctance this week to hand over as
much as 700 Billion dollars to the Treasury. They should be applauded
for not allowing the Dems to load this bill with funding for ACORN and
other such silliness.  However, we need a bill in place before Monday.
 My gut feeling is that we'll get a substantial amount of this
"bailout" back but it will take some time.

I'm staring into my crystal ball as I type, and it tells me real
estate values will remain flat or maybe even decline some more for a
couple of years.  These "fire sale" properties are going to run the
comps down for everyone. We've got to stop this "sub-prime" lending
nonsense. Raising taxes going into a recession (and we were already in
that part of the cycle, we just picked-up speed) is foolhardy.  We
have to cut spending.  How do we do that?  Use the method we use for
aircraft performance, "measure it with a micrometer, measure it with a
grease pencil, and cut it with an axe". There will be plenty of time
to talk about how and who we'll raise taxes on and how later (and we
will) but the patient has to get off the floor first.

Is Buchanan right about the downsizing of America?  In the short-term,
yes.  But like any victim recovering from a hangover, you move slower
for a while, you take some aspirin, and then you make a decision
whether to drink in moderation or get drunk again.

Brad