[Rhodes22-list] Brad & Bell E, Political question

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 10:55:14 EDT 2008

Wally,

The immediate crisis is commercial paper.  If the market quits buying
and selling commercial paper the wheels of the entire economy grind to
a halt.  That IS bad.

You and I agreed 2.5 years ago that the real estate market silliness
wouldn't last forever and it didn't.  The financial institutions would
have made a correction but for Fanny and Freddie continuing to serve
"free" drinks until the patrons fell off their bar stools.

As for safe, do business with a local bank.  I bank with the Memphis
Area Teachers Credit Union and they hold their own loans.  There's
nothing sexy about borrowing money at 4% and lending it at 7% but it's
worked for years.  Every community has a small bank or S&L.

Complaining about the equities market going South makes about as much
sense as me whining about my airplane losing 30% of its value in the
last year.  It is only a problem if I plan to sell (and I don't).  The
stock market has outperformed every other investment in the long run.
For most Americans, the long run means the day after tomorrow.

Never forget what Thomas Malthus said about the long run.  In the long
run, we'll all be dead!

Brad