[Rhodes22-list] political - the incredible shrinking sarah palin

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 19:57:50 EDT 2008

Herb,

Speaking of Sarah Palin, how many books were banned in Wasilla?  Zip,
zero, nada!  Never happened.  The MSM has attacked this woman and her
family viciously and they keep coming up empty. Now here's how you ban
books (see below).  Notice the American publisher really showed some
stones. That's how you ban books, boys and girls.

Brad

----------------------------

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4837994.ece

>From The Sunday Times
September 28, 2008
Muslim gang firebombs publisher of Allah novel, Martin Rynja
David Leppard

Scotland Yard's counter-terrorist command yesterday foiled an alleged
plot by Islamic extremists to kill the publisher of a forthcoming
novel featuring sexual encounters between the Prophet Muhammad and his
child bride.

Early yesterday armed undercover officers arrested three men after a
petrol bomb was pushed through the door of the north London home of
the book's publisher.

The Metropolitan police said the target of the assassination plot, the
Dutch publisher Martin Rynja, had not been injured.

The suspected terror gang was being followed by undercover police and
the fire was quickly put out after the fire brigade smashed down the
front door.

The foiled terrorist attack recalled the death threats and uproar 20
years ago following the publication of Salman Rushdie's Satanic
Verses, and the worldwide protests that followed the publication in a
Danish newspaper in 2005 of cartoons deemed offensive to Islam, in
which more than 100 people died.

Security officials believe Rynja was targeted for assassination
because his firm, Gibson Square, is preparing to publish a romantic
novel about Aisha, child bride of the Prophet Muhammad. The Jewel of
Medina, by the first-time American author Sherry Jones, describes an
imaginary sex scene between the prophet and his 14-year-old wife.

It was withdrawn from publication in America last month after its
publisher there, Random House, said it feared a violent reaction by "a
small radical segment" of Muslims. It said "credible and unrelated
sources" had warned that the book could incite violence.

Random House reacted after Islamic scholars objected to its contents,
saying it treated the wife of the Prophet as a sex object. One of
them, Denise Spellberg, of the University of Texas at Austin,
described the novel as "soft-core pornography", referring to a scene
in which Muhammad consummates his marriage to Aisha. She called it "a
declaration of war" and a "national security issue".

At the time, her warnings were dismissed by the author. "Anyone who
reads the book will not be offended," said Jones. "I wrote the book
with the utmost respect for Islam." However, Jones admitted receiving
death threats after the book was withdrawn.

It was soon after this that the Met appears to have received a tip-off
that the British publisher who had subsequently agreed to print it
could be the target of an attack.

A Met spokesman said three men had been arrested in "a preplanned
intelligence-led operation" at about 2.25am on Saturday.

Two of the suspects were arrested in the street outside Rynja's
four-storey townhouse in Lonsdale Square, Islington, while the third
was stopped by officers in an armed vehicle near Angel Tube station.

They were being questioned yesterday on suspicion of the commission,
preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism, a spokesman said.

Rynja, 44, could not be contacted yesterday. He is believed to be
under police guard.

Yesterday, Natasha Kern, Jones's agent, said she was shocked to learn
of the attack. She said the book had been misinterpreted by its
critics and did not contain sex scenes, as had been alleged.

"I honestly believe that if people read the book they will see it is
not disrespectful of Muhammad, and moderate Muslims will not be
offended. I don't want anyone to risk their lives but we could never
imagine that there would be some madmen who would do something like
this. I'm so sad about this act of terrorism. Moderate Muslims will
suffer because of a few radicals."

Kern said it was too early for her to comment on whether the book
should be withdrawn. "That's up to Martin, and I still need to absorb
the fact that he was at risk. I'm just so glad he has not been hurt."

Residents said they saw armed police break down the door of Rynja's
house, helped by firefighters.

Francesca Liebowitz, 16, a neighbour, said: "The police couldn't get
the door open so the fire brigade battered it down."

Another neighbour, who declined to be named, said: "I was woken at
about 3am and I looked out the window and I saw several unmarked cars
with what I now think were police officers in them. These officers
came out of the cars and there was huge screaming and shouting. Some
of the police officers were carrying sub-machineguns.

"I then saw a small fire at the bottom of the door at the house. I
heard the police officers shout and scream and try to get neighbours
out of the house."

The Jewel of Medina is due to be published next month.