[Rhodes22-list] 8 Lowes on Country Rhodes Sunday

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Sep 29 21:58:01 EDT 2008

I have a buddy that's a down's "kid" (he's actually 30 now, but he's
been a tag-along with me since he was about 19). He loves going sailing
with me. It was an interesting thing to watch. He was terrified when he
first got on the boat. We took over an hour before we left the slip
because he seemed so uncertain about going out. Finally, I told him
everything was ready to go except for putting on life jackets. He picked
out one of the type that zips up in front, and has three straps in
addition to that. It was like flipping a switch. He relaxed, and
everything was good.

Now when I take him out (typically just once a summer is all we can work
out, he's VERY active), he puts on the life jacket, and he's fine with
everything.

As a side note, Brad has been been involved in Special Olympics since
I've known him, regularly bringing home medals and trophies. The other
day in church, they announced that he hit a hole-in-one playing golf. I
asked his mother about it, saying I didn't know they had Special
Olympics golf. She said it wasn't Special Olympics, that he made an ace
on a regular local Country Club course, playing against his father, on a
par 3, and his father hit a 5 stroke.

I was amazed.