[Rhodes22-list] Brad - A little more on CRAs

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:35:51 EDT 2008

Wally,

You have to follow the whole time line of the CRA all the way to the
end game. The CRA worked fine for several years. The 1995 CRA act put
real pressure on lenders to make CRA loans.  The system still worked
OK.  It was when primarily Fannie, but also Freddie, made a market for
CRA loans that the whole sub-prime market took off.  They were the
largest buyers and enabled the lenders to make a quick buck and pass
the risk.  The some bright boys on Wall Street came up with credit
default swaps and the wildfire really started.  Buffet predicted the
outcome in 2002.  Bush and McCain AND Greenspan warned of the
excessive risk Fannie and Freddie were taking.  Real estate prices
started escalating higher than any reasonable factor would have
predicted, the classic bubble.  I thought the market would correct in
a timely fashion and I was wrong. The CRA isn't the only factor in
play, but it was the kindling for this wildfire.  Greed and CDS was
pouring gasoline on the fire.

So back to the roots of the problem, first someone had to pressure
lenders to take greater risks.  The CRA did that.  Second, someone had
to provide a market for higher risk loans - Freddie and Fannie did
that.  Third, something had to spread the risk for Wall Street to get
in on the action.  They thought credit default swaps would do that and
they started to compete with Freddie and Fannie for the action.  Fred
and Fan were responsible for half, Wall Street the rest.

Was CRA the sole cause?  No, it was the match.  Freddie and Fannie was
the firewood and Wall Street was the gasoline. Could we have doused
Fan & Fred?  Sure we could have but they were the darlings of
Congress.  Could we have controlled Wall Street?  Not with the
existing laws in place (that's sure to change).

The average "accident chain" for most aircraft hull losses is about 16
steps long.  Break the chain at any step along the way and you avoid
the smoking hole in the dirt.  Did we break this chain?  No, we missed
every opportunity along the way.

Brad