[Rhodes22-list] Politics - Hitler Youth

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 12:50:09 EDT 2008

You've heard the story here before.  The book "Last Days of Patton" by
Ladislas Farago mentions a Hans Weindl in the acknowledgments and
tells the story of Hans in the first chapter remembering Patton
driving through Bad Tolz with the claxon horns blaring.  Bad Tolz was
the site of the SS training camp and was headquarters for Patton after
WW2 until his death.  Hans (now deceased) was the step-father of my
ex-wife and we vacationed every year in Bad Tolz. Hans and I got into
a lot of trouble together combining long nights, German beer, and war
stories.  His father was Chief of Police of Bad Tolz and when Hans
came home from a Hitler Youth meeting in the closing days of the war
with an antiquated rifle, his father took away his gun and locked him
in the attic until the American tanks rolled into town.  Where was I
going with this?  Oh yeah, it is official now.  This thing has morphed
into a freaking cult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW9b0xr06qA

Brad