[Rhodes22-list] Old-style rudder head for sale

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 19:28:09 EDT 2008

One word of caution...  watch that you do not build up the width too much, or
it might bind in the rudderhead (a lesson i learned)

I did similar to Rummy...  but where ever the seam was split, i opened the
split more with a dremel, then patched w/ epoxy filler.. then went all the
way around the seam with biaxial tape and epoxy.  I did get carried away and
had too much buildup in width at the top of the rudder, and had to remove
some to avoid binding.  (I actually am now rebuilding the head as well as it
was pretty rotted inside.)

Bob M

Bob,
The rudder repair is fairly simple. The first step is to make sure the core
is completely dry. I had mine in the garage over a summer before I did the
work.  I had the luxury of having a spare rudder. Once the core is dry, sand
around the  cracked areas to be repaired and wipe clean with rag. Then it
becomes
a matter  of laying in layers of fiberglass over the cracks lengthwiays and
sanding in  between layers. West has a good fiberglass system available from
marine  suppliers and they can provide you with a manual if you are
unfamiliar
with the  workings of fiberglass.

In a message dated 9/25/2008 12:30:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,