[Rhodes22-list] By way of introduction, Ahoy, and request for advice

atmcneil atmcneil at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:28:19 EDT 2009

Hello everyone. I'm a new Rhodie, having gotten a used 1981 from Stan at the
beginning of March. I had her parked in the driveway for a few weeks while I
attended to paperwork and cosmetic concerns. I had folks on hand Saturday to
launch her. That was a challenging time, including losing control of the
mast and pulling the step out of the deck. Luckily I was able to quickly
repair it, having read Stan's reasons not to bolt the step to the deck. So
by 1pm I had her parked in her slip and had renamed her CEALA (pronounced
sea-la).

I went to check on her Sunday morning. She's in a slip on Queens Creek, off
the York River about 5 miles NW of Yorktown. I found she had taken on water
overnight, somewhere around 20-25 gallons.

Yesterday evening a friend and I went down and took some of the deck up to
try to find the leak while she was still in the water.  There are 3 bolts
coming up at the center board cap, and from the diagram in the "Centerboard
and Trunk Restoration" instruction on the website, the leak is where they
double block for the mechanical advantage is.  The fiberglass gasket is
leaking (about 1g/hr). The washers look too small and the edges of the
gasket have come up.  The cp trunk flange (the part with 40+ bolts) looks
good. While I working I dried them off and they stayed dry.

So we pulled her out and she is parked at the marina until Wednesday, at
which point I either have to put her back in the water or bring her to the
house.

I have a few questions. What will happen to the double mini blocks when I
remove the 3 nuts holding them? Will I be able to reached them to attached
them to a new gasket and plate?  What should I use as the plate to attach
the double mini blocks? One guy who looked said the plate should be
stainless with a rubber gasket under it. Another guy suggested using a blank
head gasket and then drilling the necessary holes.  I just want to make sure
I won't lose any of the mechanism for raising and lowering the centerboard.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I didn't ramble. I can
probably post a picture this evening if that would help. I look forward to
getting to know folks on this forum.

Andy

1981 R22 - CEALA
Williamsburg, Virginia