[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Line Question?????

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Apr 7 16:47:32 EDT 2009

Lee, a few comments on your comments

At 04:21 PM 4/7/2009, you wrote:
>2.  I have way too much anchor rope rode and it will just get in the way.  I
>have 200' which, with a 7:1 scope, should be enough for anywhere around the
>Chesapeake except the deepest areas of the shipping channel, which is
>probably not a wise place to set anchor.

Except Shaw Bay one of the most popular anchorages on the Wye River.

>If I'm anchoring overnight it's likely that I'll be in 10' of water or less,
>which would require about 70' of rope rode.

10 feet of water would require 84' of rode (including any chain you
may have). You need to add the height from the water line to the deck
to your depth for the purposes of determining scope. If a strong wind
comes up or if the wind changes direction it is nice to have some
extra to increase the scope. We've used this tactic many times when
the wind has increased or changed direction after we set the anchor.
We hate reanchoring in the dark unless it's absolutely necessary.

ML