[Rhodes22-list] 2Re: Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compression post.

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 13 12:25:20 EDT 2009

John,

I'm not sure I am bold enough to alter the compression post, but your venture into this unknown arena will learn us all.  Your project could be a tremendous incentive for many of us to tailor the boat to their needs.  My wife has been 'discouraged' by the interior space limitations.  Use of the table insert in the cabin was marginal. It didn't mollify her cramped feeling to sleep in the v-berth, just too difficult to move around.  The ladies are much more sensitive to this than we are, but can make the cruise 'happening' either very enjoyable or very miserable.

Our take - with the full bed deployed in the cabin (table top setup, non-enclosed head) it is most difficuly moving to and using the pottie, however it is configured.  Using the v-berth for sleeping, with pottie behind the bulkhead, negotiating the midnight mission is no easier.  I typically don't get up, based on sound prior strategic planning, but the ladies must be somehow different.

Thoughts:

The dynamic and static loads in our mast rig are mostly downward and carried by the compression post, wood or metal.  There is probably some lateral stiffening provided by the starboard divider bulkhead although not heavy duty I imagine.  Stan would have insights into this.  There is a twisting action on the cross-section, maybe not of significance.  You may know that the new "enclosed head" layout on the new newer boats is very 'open' with the sliding window hatch on the bunk side (ergo little lateral stiffening), so I don't think Stan is concerned with any loading on the boat except the vertical loads transmitted thru the compression post.  I would appreciate his sage advice.

My resolution looks like this, suitable for porta potty equipped - like yours, have a v-berth extension board, full width, sectioned and hinged, to rest on supports throughout, making a respectable bunking area for two.  Additionally, cut and frame a window in the bulkhead for ventilation, light, and access.  We need to get our ladies more enthusiastic about cruising more that a night or weekend.  This is a major reason I make the BR, which, btw, had a nice redo in both full and PTE models.

Inputs welcome,

Art
s/v Mary Jane
Atlanta/St. Pete