[Rhodes22-list] Gusset vs Compression Post

Blue Heron sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:24:48 EDT 2009

Finally, the issue has been resolved.  The yard that replaced my mast step
is concerned that since the new step is more rigid than the original, any
flexing will go beyond the step causing the gelcoat on the cabin top to
crack.  So they were trying to figure out how to take all the weight of the
mast directly to the keel.

They were thinking a gusset mounted on the longitudinal bulkhead for the
head and extending under the mast would be stronger than the compression
post I put in.  Based on Stan's advice, my post is stepped on the lateral
stringer that raises the cabin sole for the head.

With temperatures in the 70's promised for this weekend, I told them it is
time to decide and give me back my boat.  Amazingly, they now agree with
Stan.  Go figure.

Rick