[Rhodes22-list] Gusset vs Compression Post

Caesar Paul caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 13:32:08 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,

I am glad that you shared a bit of your experience with our boat.  Many of us on the list are listening and learning, so that if and when we have a problem, we will not be entirely in the dark about what is happening and more importantly, how to fix it.  Thanks for your observation, and keep sharing them.  You are 14 years into this, and I have not completed my first year as yet.  Lots to learn here.

As a new bee to boat ownership and sailing, it appears to me that part of the fun is discovering more and more about how things work, learning that components wear out, and  the importance of developing a "critical eye" to catch and correct things before bad things happen.  Like the time I notice a cotter pin on one of my back-stay without the locking ring.  Oups!  Where did that ring go?

I will accept that age has a part to play in "compression post issues," but could the bigger culprit be over-tightening these stays on the boat?  To keep a mast perpendicular to a hull does not require tight stays.  All that is needed is for four stays at 90 degrees apart to balance, or keep the mast straight up in the mast.

With this being the case, if a sailor is on a tack, say a port tack, the stays on the port side will become taut, and the stays on the opposite side will become slack because it is bearing no load.  If a nervous, or over conscientious sailor tightens these slack looking stays, and when he is on an opposite tack tightens those slack looking stays, he will in effect, be driving his mast into his deck, into his compression post, into his floor stringers, into his keel.  One can imagine what this will do to the various parts of a boat over the years.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The fact that the Rhodes 22 stands up admirably to this over conscientiousness is a testimony to Stan the builder.

Caesar
Gentle Breeze
1984 Recycled 2008