[Rhodes22-list] Chesapeake Sailing

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Apr 27 13:49:06 EDT 2009

Chris,

I couldn't go out on Friday but probably wouldn't have anyway with the high
wind.  I don't normally go out anymore if the wind is above 20 knots, and
between 15 and 20 knots it can be more work than fun for me.  You hit the
nail on the head when you mentioned the waves.  Where we sail we frequently
get a lot of chop if the wind gets very high, and you'll find that it's
easier to sail in 20 knots of wind with a little chop than 15 knots with a
lot of chop.

Learning to sail perfectly is an unending endeavor.  I found that learning
to sail somewhat perfect was less of a learning curve than learning to furl
my sails back in during high wind.  For the mainsail, Mary Lou's advice
about the position of the boom is very important.  Tighten the mainsheet so
the boom remains centered and use the motor to ensure you are heading
directly into the wind.  It's true that the sail furls better if the boom is
slightly to the starboard side, but ignore that.  It furls in just fine with
the boom centered and you do not want any high wind tension on the mainsail
when trying to furl it in.  A little tension on the outhaul line helps keep
the sail from flapping around beyond control.

I've had four years of making every mistake imaginable.  Let me know if
you'd like to go out for a sail and I can show you all kinds of things you
shouldn't do.

I did make it out on Saturday and it was wonderful.  From 1 to 6 p.m. I
measured the wind from 3 to 7.5 knots, and the only serious chop was from
the powerboaters at Kent Narrows.  Couldn't ask for better conditions.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD