[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22-list] might be a mistake here

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Sun Aug 2 21:18:47 EDT 2009

Deena:

You haven't done anything wrong.  Some have voiced some ideas recently to
try to help keep the boat building business going at GBI.  I just did a few
posts back in fact.   We are making suggestions with good intent, but very
little experience or knowledge of the boat business.  The latest edition of
Sailing Magazine has a column about just how dismal the sailboat building
business is these days.  Most of the manufacturers say that they "are going
back to basics".  I don't know what that means exactly.  The article said
that larger boats have a bigger margin and a lot of builders got into that
end of the business.  Of course, in this economy the larger boats aren't
moving well and the builders are hurting.  So are the smaller boats coming
back into favor?  We'll see.  They never lost favor at my house.

In the meantime, GBI is a family owned and operated business with a business
plan nearly as old as me.  There is no mass advertising and there are no
dealerships.  Stan owns it and operates it the way he sees fit and that is
his privilege.  Art apparently offers a product as an add-on that is
specifically for the Rhodes 22.   Apparently, the two gentlemen had an
agreement at some point that fell apart for whatever reason and that
discussion has spilled over onto the list.  I say again, IMO  that is their
problem-for themselves and/or their lawyers to work out if need be.

GBI participates in the boat show circuit.  They attend the shows that they
want to and they market the boat the way they see fit.  They probably don't
want a bunch of amateurs around mucking things up and I don't blame them.
Marketing and selling the boat is their problem, not mine; so henceforth, no
more good ideas from me.

My problem and your problem and every other owner's problem is who is going
to support us with expertise and parts when the time comes?  The answer
is probably nobody... but maybe the people on this list.  If boat owners
could save a manufacturer of a boat they own from going out of business it
would have probably happened sometime and we would have heard about it.  The
good news is that the interest in this boat will not die even if the factory
does.  There are plenty of owner associations and forums out there involved
in boats that are no longer being manufacturered.  A boat designed as well
as this one and with such a loyal following is going to be supported by the
people who love it and enjoy sailing it for many years to come.

I said in an earlier post that I would be willing to do a royalty/loyalty
fee when I or my estate sells the boat.  I will do that for the present
owners of the boats if the factory is still in business when either the boat
or I go.  I doubt seriously that this is going to be the case, because I
have no plans to sell and at 53, I plan on hanging around a few years
longer.  I also plan on doing my major purchases through GBI as long as they
are in existence.  That helps GBI which helps us all and I know things will
work right and fit, like sails for instance.  I also said that I would pay
dues to an owner's association.   All this to help GBI and support my fellow
Rhodies.  That's all I can do.  It's all anyone can do in this circumstance.

Note:  I personally don't think it to be proper for a list member to solicit
sales of a product which he has an interest in on this list which hurts
GBI's bottom line.  Seems a little self-serving when the rest of us rely
upon GBI for support and parts at present.  On the other hand, if GBI were
no longer in existence then that opens the door to all such solicitations
and I would be foolish not to welcome anyone willing to provide products
which support my investment.  This could be a slippery slope. Does that mean
that none of us should advise the other list members of good after-market
products that the factory also provides regardless of what it is?  Everyone
must decide on their own.  Anyway, I would say to all members who are
interested in providing "major" after-market products... Thanks for the
efforts but probably better done "off list" for the present.

Deena, I am sorry if you have not been made to feel welcome.  But, I am sure
that I speak for all when I say we are very glad to have you or anyone else
with an interest in the Rhodes 22 as part of our group.  In the long run,
enlarging the group and supporting each other and our interest in the boat
is going to be the future of the boat.  So don't let a couple of guys
getting their panties in a wad upset you.  That happens around here from
time to time, "but it too, shall pass".

David Culp