[Rhodes22-list] Cracks in Cement Ballast

atmcneil atmcneil at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:24:06 EDT 2009

I have an '81 Rhodes and it took on water. I have been repairing it and what
I've found is that the pin on which the centerboard is suspended was a
stainless tube about 2". It gouged a silver dollar sized hole in the
centerboard housing through which water infiltrated the centerboard housing.
It appears that it froze at least once and shot the cement through with
cracks.

I chiseled out a good amount of the cement in the trunk and repaired the
gouged from the inside out. It's water tight, but now my problem is that the
centerboard housing bulged inboard (making the slot the centerboard too
narrow). I am now having trouble getting the board reinstalled.