[Rhodes22-list] water in the laz

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 10:13:26 EDT 2009

Hello All,
I've written to Stan about this, but either my email got lost, didn't
get through, he's still having trouble with comcast, or he's busy making
boats.
I'm hoping you have a recommendation for my latest problem.  I have
attached a couple of jpegs of the interior of the laz.
The boat is sitting on the trailer at an angle with the stern downhill.
If you look in laz_1.jpg you can see I've circled the through hull of
the cockpit drain.  It looked for all the world like water was seeping
out around the through hull.  It trickled down and puddled in the aft
part of the laz.  But there was no water in the cockpit so it wasn't
leaking around the hose.  I kept sponging it up each day and next day
more would appear.  The boat is covered, by the way so it wasn't from rain.
I finally took a video camera and looked under the cabin sole down along
the centerboard and could see a puddle of water at the end.  So the
water is seeping ever so slowly under the cockpit floor and coming out
around the through hull into the laz.
First question is:  Should I worry about this?  It is an aggravation
because I don't like water standing in the laz to create mold and also
the paint in the laz is peeling as you can see in the photo.  I am a
little concerned about water staying between the cockpit and hull.  I'm
guessing there is floatation  under the cockpit floor.
Next question is: What should I do?  In Laz_2.jpg you hopefully can see
that there appears to be no opening at the base of the cockpit.  The
base of the cockpit is glassed to the floor of the laz.  I have heard
from the list that in older boats the laz was open to underneath the
cockpit floor.  Was this boat modified?
I can see a leftover washer through some of the resin.  Makes me wonder
about the work.  I've heard of people glassing up the openings between
the cockpit and laz and cabin.  Should I drill a hole just under the
cockpit floor to let the water out more quickly?   Should I leave it
alone and live with it?  Seeing water seep from around the throughhull
makes me worry about the integrity of the throughhull although I don't
see any seepage when we are in the water.
Joe
"Harmony" 2000 recycled 2008