[Rhodes22-list] Now Comes General Boats And

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Thu Aug 6 10:11:36 EDT 2009

A number of interesting ideas have been proposed.  I must say one thing the
whole "LoRo" discussion has done is make me even more happy that I bought a
recycled R22 direct from Stan.  I got a great boat and, presumably, GB made
some profit on the sale.  I have the peace of mind that knowing I can call
Stan whenever I've got an issue gives.

However, that thought does lend itself to a LoRo related idea.  Perhaps a
more direct approach of letting Stan be the broker on most if not all Rhodes
re-sales is the way to go.  This, of course, like any LoRo scheme, would
have to be voluntary.  But if enough of us "held hands" and pledged to sell
our boats only through GB, then they could: (a) provide the buyer with some
assistance in assessing & comparing different age Rhodes and (b) make a fair
profit on that service.  It would also put GB in the position of knowing who
owned many of their boats so they could direct market improvements,
innovations, specials (mast stub/pop top support combo for example), etc.
Now, GB already does a good deal of the latter on their website so this add
on might be of limited value to them.    Still, the direct marketing ability
should further enhance GB's position relative to any third party vendors who
develop or wish to develop Rhodes 22 specific products by providing ready
access to many Rhodes owners.  With a little work GB could easily have a
"used Rhodes" section with available boats listed with pictures, etc. on
their website and could tier the boats in terms of (for example): brokered,
surveyed (i.e. evaluated by GB), GB certified, recycled, demos, and brand
spanking new.

Personally, should the time come to sell Muireann, I would expect that GB
would be able to get me the best price with the least amount of my time as
things stand now.  If GB had a more formal brokerage program going with ads
& pics on their web site, I would expect they could be even more effective,
and hence to me as a seller, even more attractive.  In that case, well,
maybe no "hold hands and pledge" is needed since enlightened capitalism
should take over and do the trick all by itself.

My $0.02.

-----
Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann 1993/2008 Rhodes 22