[Rhodes22-list] Now comes General Boats

Basso jbroadri at amfam.com
Thu Aug 6 10:54:11 EDT 2009

Stan, I understand your conundrum, and I would like to play devils advocate
with your idea.

It sounds like the issue at hand is the amount of "free" consulting time you
are giving to buyers of boats where you get no compensation.  I have to
wonder if you are trying to kill an fly with a .357 with your proposed
approach.  I'm guessing you already have a good idea who has purchased from
you or through you.  For those that did not, could you not simply charge a
labor fee for the consulting time?  The advantages of this from my
perspective are that you are tying the charge directly to the user of the
service, you are not working on projects without compensation and then
buyers and sellers who may not be aware of the RO/LO are not left out in the
cold.  It has all the same features as your RO/LO, but the money changes
hands for a service provided, not as a retainer in case service will be
needed in the future.

As you know, I purchased from you rather than purchasing a used boat because
I did value the time and effort you put forth in selling the boat.  Had I
purchased the used boat instead, I would have been happy to pay for your
time to help me retrofit/repair anything that would have been needed, and I
would not have thought anything of it.

My opinion (not that you really care) is that the RO/LO is an administrative
hassle for buyers and sellers.  I would play along with it if I ever sold my
boat, but I'm thinking that buyers needing your service would still be the
most happy to pay the money and the most likely to see the value in the
money spent.

This is your business and you are the one who will decide what to do, so I
simply sumbit my suggestion for your consideration.  BTW, I first saw the
rhodes at the chicago show in 2004 and was very impressed.  Seeing it at
that show prompted me to find one to rent (Snug Harbor Inn in Sturgeon Bay,
WI).  I liked the ease of the furling and found it to be very comfortable to
sail.  I kept it in mind for when I was in the market again.  So add another
sale to your chicago presence, albeit for a recycled boat delayed about 5
years.