[Rhodes22-list] Now Comes General Boats

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Thu Aug 6 14:02:28 EDT 2009

Mike:

It sounds good in theory... but in my case, I am in Texas and a long way
from the East coast where most of the Rhodes reside.  I have a friend who
owns sailingtexas.com and if I needed a quick sale in an emergency, I would
probably do better to advertise there.  We have a lot of sailors down here
and the idea of trailering the boat halfway across the country is not
appealing to most people.  Also, the boat is unique here and that would help
move it in this area.  Of course, I would notify the List and Stan in case
they had someone; but in reality, I think Stan would rather just collect the
revenue and not get involved in most third party transactions.  I think if
Stan gets a call for a used boat, he is going to push the recycled ones he
has.  Why wouldn't he?  I would.  If the prospect was reluctant on a recycle
and my boat was a better fit, maybe Stan would steer them my way if he knew
he was going to get the 5%.  That would be my hope.  Anyway, I think this
looks like a potential for a conflict of interest when you get the factory
involved in third party sales.  I know I would rather handle the sale myself
and forward Stan the 5%.  The buyer would be happy to know that the boat was
registered, certified or whatever with General Boats-me having paid the my
fee to accomplish it.  Hopefully the buyer would carry through on their end
and I would emphasis the importance in doing so.

If  GBI devises such a program I think it should have the following features
at a minimum:

If your boat is registered in the LoRo program, you should be able to call
or email GBI with your hull number and GBI should know the history of it and
how it is equipped so that there is no guessing on their end as to
configuration or parts needed.  The data base could be set up based on
a questionnaire that owners would fill out on registration.  This would be
good for Stan because in my case for instance, I have IMF and the GBI furler
WITH the luff groove.  The older ones only had a tube and no groove.  If I
call or email with a question about sails, then he would know exactly what I
had by pulling my data sheet.  If a new owner buys my boat, he/she may have
no idea about the furlers that GBI put on the boats before and so they would
have to go through that research all over again and ask Stan questions
taking up his time.  Let's say that I changed my furler out to a later model
CDI.  Then I would forward that info to GBI and my record would be updated
accordingly.  I think it would be comforting for a registered owner to call
GBI and hear "oh yes, we know your boat".

There needs to be some type of financial incentive such as a parts discount
or free shipping or something!

Of course, Stan has always been good about giving advice no matter what, but
if the boat is registered-no one should ever feel guilty about taking up his
time with questions.  He also,  will feel better about it because he has
been compensated for his time.  When a question comes up, he can pull your
sheet and then "your boat" will be there right in front of him including
pictures too, if they can be attached.  It will take him less time to field
and answer owner questions.

Thanks,
David Culp