[Rhodes22-list] conjecturing on leakage

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Mon Aug 10 09:27:29 EDT 2009

This is quite the mystery.  Your dye tracer experiment seems to rule out the
bilge, your in water experience seems to rule out the lower nozzle on the
center drain, and the upper nozzle seems unlikely since it shouldn't be all
that wet for all that long under most circumstances.  Besides, it if was the
upper nozzle and it was cracked badly enough to let much water into the laz,
a bucket or garden hose test in the cockpit should turn up that leak easily
enough.  I suppose you could try another dye tracer test from the rear
cockpit by plugging the center drain outlet and putting a couple gallons of
dyed water in the aft cockpit.

This is useful vicarious troubleshooting experience for all of us with older
hulls!  Do keep us posted.

Joe Babb wrote:

> Guys,
> This is not water from a heavy rain coming in over the laz hatch
> opening.  I don't know the source of the water yet, but it is most
> assuredly leaking from the base of the center through hull and
> collecting in the laz.
> Joe

-----
Mike Cheung