[Rhodes22-list] main unfurlling problem

Richard MacArthur Richard at MacArthurLawFirm.com
Wed Aug 19 15:04:04 EDT 2009

I have to struggle to unfurl the mainsail on my "88. I think it was
refurbished in "95 because it was bought from the Mt.Clemens Mi. boat
show. Apparently the main was stored in the mast but pointed toward the
sun because I had to have a 4" patch put in the entire leech, which was
rotten, I just got the boat so I don't know  if there was a problem
before that. When I pull out the main it seems to bind about half way up
the mast all the way to the top. It looks like the sail is doubled over
inside the mast and I have to jerk on the bottom of the sail to try to
get the bind out. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have the boom car at the very aft end of the boom as I pull out the
sail. The boom is set horizontally. It furls without a problem. Is it
possible the mast was somehow compressed so that the slot was made
narrower? There is a dent at the top of the mast that prevents the
furling tube from being in any but the high position for the boom. If
it's the patch that's causing the problem because it's too thick does
this mean a new or used sail? Is it possible to spread the slot in the
mast-probably a much too complicated solution and possibly causing a
strength problem in the mast-although I think there are bump shop tools
that can do this.

Anyone else having this problem? ------Richard on Eagles Wings