[Rhodes22-list] main unfurlling problem

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Wed Aug 19 18:00:57 EDT 2009

Richard,
Sounds like you have a combination of problems. The dent at the top of
your mast that holds the furling tube in the up position could be binding
the top bearing.The sun damage repair might make the leech stiffer and
make the middle of the sail baggier,and more likely to wrinkle and wad up
when furling. My old mainsail acted like yours towards the end,a new sail
helped alot.Before I'd get out my checkbook,I'd pull a ten out of my
wallet,and do what Mary Ann said-buy a can of sailcote,and lube up every
thing you can reach. On a calm day,you might try moving the boom slider up
or down a little to see if you get better unfurling,with the boom in a
different spot.You could also take most of the tension off the backstay
adjuster to make sure your not bending the mast and putting the furling
tube in a bind.Check your side stays to make sure your not binding side to
side.If nothing helps,I hear Edenton is bueatiful this time of year.

Jerry Lowe

 I have to struggle to unfurl the mainsail on my "88. I think it was