[Rhodes22-list] Wiring Q. with the electric O/B lift

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Aug 31 00:53:52 EDT 2009

Dave,

While I would not disconnect a heavy load while supplying power if avoidable
just to reduce arcing or sparking, the action of removal of the load will
not damage the diodes.  The diodes may be damaged through the application of
a "reverse voltage" in excess of the PIV (peak inverse voltage) rating of
the diode.  The most common way to do this in a power generation system is
by removing the SOURCE of energy to a coil and allowing the magnetic field
to collapse, inducing a reverse voltage to the devices attached to the coil.
This requires a complete circuit to expose the diode to the inverse voltage.
If the load is removed, this would not be the case.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: <david.walker5 at comcast.net> Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:05 PM