[Rhodes22-list] tarp for winter storage

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sat Dec 5 17:31:55 EST 2009

My boat is scheduled to come out of the water next week and will rest on jack
stands at the boat yard until spring.  I have taken off the genoa to store
inside and plan to leave the main sail and rigging in place over the winter.
Southern Maryland winter weather is not as punishing as might be encountered
in the more northern climates.  I am considering putting a tarp over the
boom to partially protect the cockpit and cabin top.  I do not plan to lower
the mast and am not intending to try and enclose the entire deck, just a
simple tarp tent over the boom with some tie downs to the boat, not the jack
stands.  Does anyone else use this method and are there any suggestions on
tarp size, how to tie it down?  I see in the archives a lot of good ideas on
pvc frames, entire boat wraps, sunbrella custom covers and discussions about
tie downs to the trailer.  My idea is to leave most of the  boat exposed to
the elements but provide a little protection to the cockpit and cabin top.